Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's April

Crazy to think that I moved to LA for the second time last year on my 25th birthday. Time sure flies. On April 20th it will be a year when Matt Bailey, myself and my friend Zeus, visiting from Holland, were sitting in Won Kok in Chinatown eating dinner and me setting my goal of producing my first feature film at the age of 25.

I knew it was not going to be an easy feat so I wanted to set a realistic deadline. I remember them asking me when I thought it would be done, I said April 15th. It was five days before my birthday. It is my mom's birthday. And it is the first day the Telluride Film Festival begins accepting submissions. So it was a very memorable date.

Now it's almost a year later and it's mindblowing to think that I might be hitting my exact personal deadline on the dot. All that is left is some final sound polishes and then the final mix.

The project was such a roller coaster of emotion. Pretty much the same process I've had with any film. Have a dream. Begin creating the dream. Dream kind of creates itself. You begin editing and you're unsure if your dream will work. You edit some more and then magically the film begins creating itself and takes on a new life. It sounds like new-age/metaphysical bullshit but it's kind of what happens.

In retrospect I had a really good time making this film and it was definitely an experience. I look forward to the new experiences it leads me to.

Below is one of my favorite pictures from the production. It was the first night and you can see me reviewing the footage, scared shitless about whether or not this will all work out and come together.



Amazingly enough it has come together better than I could've ever imagined. I'm happy to say that I did not commit suicide because of this project. I have survived and I look forward to showing my creation to the world.

-Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment